State Street Corporation (NYSE:STT) today announced the launch of State Street MediaStats Macro Linkages, a new set of quantitative investment insights derived from digital media. First launched in 2016 with State Street partner MKT MediaStats, LLC, the new solution collects unstructured data from tens of thousands of curated media sources in order to quantify leading indicators of market behavior with respect to price and risk across global equity and foreign exchange markets.
“Better access to information influences the way investors behave and academic research shows that economic linkages play a vital role in asset pricing and security co-movement,” said Will Kinlaw, head of State Street Associates. “State Street MediaStats scours traditional media, social media and corporate communications to understand how—and how often—currencies and equity markets are being jointly discussed in media. By aggregating media co-mentions between assets, we are able to offer our clients consumable insights on macroeconomic trends and connection points between assets, enabling more informed investment decisions.”
State Street MediaStats’ full range of indicators now includes:
- FX and Country Equity Media Indicators that use natural language processing and machine learning to analyze large sets of unstructured media data, comprising international and domestic media, social media, business news and trading media. These proprietary indicators derive standardized measures of intensity, sentiment and disagreement in media coverage to assist portfolio managers in assessing the outlook for 33 foreign currencies and 44 global equity markets.
- Macro Linkages Indicators that track inter-asset connectedness among country equity markets and currencies.
- Company Media Indicators that provide insights into company dynamics using proprietary algorithms to measure the abnormal intensity, conditional sentiment and disagreement in media coverage of approximately 3,000 US listed individual companies.
- Company Linkages Indicators that gauge the strength and impact of inter-company relationships based on company co-mentions in media for approximately 500 US listed large cap companies.
- Aggregate Media Indicators that generate measures of the abnormal intensity, conditional sentiment and disagreement in media coverage of US sectors, industry groups and industries.
- Aggregate Linkages Indicators that track the dynamic relationships between sectors, industry groups and industries based on constituent company co-mentions in media coverage.
- Earnings Prediction Technology, or EPTech, which analyzes large sets of consumer data to gauge patterns of digital consumption for approximately 350 large US listed firms. These patterns, reflective of consumer behavior in the real economy, can provide investors with an additional, distilled input as they formulate quarterly earnings estimates.
“In an environment of increasing market volatility, investors need to constantly innovate in order to build competitive investment strategies,” said Dr. Gideon Ozik, founder of MKT MediaStats. “These new macro linkages indicators provide a unique opportunity for investors to form an uncorrelated perspective on currencies and global equity markets based on vast amounts of alternative data sources.”
The State Street MediaStats indicators build on the capabilities of State Street’s academic think tank, State Street Associates (SSA), a division of State Street Global Markets. SSA bridges the worlds of financial theory and practice, develops proprietary investment indicators, differentiated analytics applications and tailored investment strategies for institutional investors around the world.
About State Street Corporation
State Street Corporation (NYSE: STT) is the world's leading provider of financial services to institutional investors including investment servicing, investment management and investment research and trading. With $32.90 trillion in assets under custody and administration and $2.95 trillion* in assets under management as of September 30, 2019, State Street operates globally in more than 100 geographic markets and employs approximately 40,000 worldwide. For more information, visit State Street's website at www.statestreet.com.
* Assets under management include the assets of the SPDR® Gold ETF and the SPDR® Long Dollar Gold Trust ETF (approximately $44 billion as of September 30, 2019), for which State Street Global Advisors Funds Distributors, LLC (SSGA FD) serves as marketing agent; SSGA FD and State Street Global Advisors are affiliated.
About MKT MediaStats, LLC
State Street partner MKT MediaStats, LLC is a technology and data analytics company, which combines expertise in data science and financial economics to extract financial markets insights from unique sets of untapped big data sources. MKT MediaStats LLC was founded by Gideon Ozik, affiliate professor at École des Hautes Etudes Commerciales du Nord (EDHEC) Business School and former hedge fund manager at Société Générale; Professor Ronnie Sadka, chair of the Finance Department at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management; Hadar Shezifi, technology entrepreneur and former architect at Neustar; and Professor Ken Froot, of Harvard Business School, who is also a founding partner of State Street Associates.
State Street Corporation One Lincoln Street, Boston, MA 02111-2900.
© 2019 State Street Corporation - All Rights Reserved
Expiration Date: 11/30/2020
+1 401 644 9182